Slice Into Spring: Equinox Sword with Shannon Burla
Time & Location
About the Event
Spring is on its way! At Sacred Shimmy Studio Online, we're celebrating by pulling out our swords and spending some time with masters of this favorite prop. Starting with the Spring Equinox, join us for four workshops from four different movement perspectives to give you something new to work on with your trusty blade this year.
Our first instructor, Shannon Burla, says:
Merry meet, amazing sword dancers! Join me for a workshop steeped in ritual and dripping with magick - a celebration of Ostara and the Spring Equinox with witchy ritual and sword dance!
Ostara and the Spring Equinox is a time when the light of day and dark of night is perfectly balanced. From this day forward, the days become longer toward Litha and the Summer Solstice. The moon is also growing, moving through her first quarter toward full. The balance of solar and lunar energy as well as the balance of night and day is perfect for manifesting and watching our goals begin to grow. We will be planting seeds of intention, releasing patterns that no longer serve us, connecting deeply with our pointy dance partners the elements and our deepest selves, and of course: dancing our lovely faces off!
Drawing from modern and dark fusion movement styles, I will share some exercises to warm you up that are specifically geared toward swordcraft, drills that will set you ablaze (watch out, thighs!), and some of my favorite flowy and gooey movements that will smoulder and ignite your heart. Movements are geared for all levels with optional modifications and/or additional layers depending on your body, your energy, and your experience level.
Optional Materials list for ritual:
(Please note: When assembling your materials, keep in mind that while these things will help you focus your mind and energy, ultimately the magick resides within YOU. It always has and it always will. That said, please make substitutions and omissions wherever you need or feels appropriate. And if you have any questions about any of this please don't hesitate to reach out!)
- a candle of a color that represents something you would like to manifest -or- of your favorite pastel color. Jar candles are best, but any size will do.
- a nail (or other similarly shaped implement for writing on your candle)
- your absolute favorite scent or essential oil(s) (for anointing the hilt of your sword and your candle)
- representations of each of the elements: Earth, Air, Fire, Water (not sure what this means? It's ok! Just think about each element and find something that FEELS like Earth, Air, Fire or Water - there are no wrong answers! If it resonates for you, it will be plenty powerful).
- your favorite incense
- a flame-proof vessel or small cauldron (Cast Iron is great, but maybe don't use something you care too much about)
- a good sized wet towel or fire extinguisher nearby (due diligence for fire safety)
- a slip of paper and a pen/ pencil
- anything else you'd like to have on your altar: statues, flowers, divination tools, jewelry, altar cloth, e.t.c
- a small tasty nibble- chocolate, cookies, e.t.c.
- a non-alcoholic beverage such as sparkling apple cider, your favorite juice, tea, etc.
Optional materials list for dancing: